Modern Witchcraft: Is Your Neighbor A Witch?

Modern Witches have little in common with the witches of old. I do not own a giant black cauldron, I do not keep any human or animal body parts stored in jars, and honestly, I’m not even sure if I own a broomstick (my boyfriend can attest to that one). I am not Wiccan or Pagan (though most witches are). I do not worship a “Satan”. Though my wardrobe is not particularly colorful, I do not walk about shrouded in black. My nose is not crooked and I have all my teeth. And no, I do not believe that magic can turn someone into a frog.

You could not pick a Modern Witch out of a crowd. We present as normal people in society.

The term “magic” as it relates to Modern Witchcraft is likely not what you are thinking. Magic refers to the energy and intention of the practitioner, in combination with the energies of the objects used in a ritual, to influence an outcome. The majority of “spells” are simple things and many of them look more like herbal cures or home remedies, rather than something out of Harry Potter.

Modern Witchcraft is the non-religious practice of the manifestation of a particular intent from the interconnectedness of the world. It is a spiritual practice. There are lots of different types of witchcraft. Many individuals practice modern witchcraft without the knowledge that they are doing so.

I, myself, identify as a Green Witch. A Green Witch is someone who practices Natural Witchcraft. Someone who works with the Earth and the Universe around them. They also work with the energies of natural objects. Green Witches usually practice a traditional form of witchcraft in which the earth, trees, herbs, plants and flowers are consulted for their medicinal and energetic values. They are dedicated to natural healing and helping others reconnect to Mother Earth.

Comments

Popular Posts